Monday, July 14, 2008

Answered Prayers

I've thought over my future and what I'm doing with my life so many times, and I was mulling over my decision to go to school in the fall to study Speech Pathology on Sunday afternoon. That night an American woman arrived and asked me about my future plans. When I told her my plans to study Speech Pathology, she was extremely enthusiastic. Her encouragement came at just the right time.

This encouragement came from a Special Education teacher who specificly works with autistic children. Today she went to the orphanage with me. Along with her came two other American volunteers. It was such an encouragement to have these new volunteers, especially because they often have ideas that I wouldn't have. Through their coming God opened a door for me to spend special time with a boy I am particularly fond of (Vasile), but who I rarely see.

When Vasile sees me he runs to me, but usually his teachers yell at him and tell him he must sit down and remain quiet. I have asked to have one-on-one time with him, but for various reasons my requests have been denied. I asked to take a walk with him today and the staff seemed very open to letting me go with him. We walked around town (also a 3-year-old came with us) for an hour and a half. Vasile is very interested in tractors and construction, but he is non-verbal, although he understands what I say to him. I lifted him up so that he could see inside fenced off construction zones. We found a magazine on the ground that advertised various construction tools which he enjoyed looking at. We we returned I got to give him a bath. I sat with him at lunch and the 13-year-old boy put his spoon in my hand. He wanted me to feed him though he is capable of doing this himself. He moved himself into my lap. Sadly, when it was time to leave I have to leave him quickly and without him knowing so that he wouldn't run after me. Getting to spend this time with him was an answer to prayer and I PRAY that I can be with him even more.

Also, I am thankful when Americans come because I get to see the orphanage in a new way when tell me their first impressions. Carol, the Special Education teacher I mentioned earlier, asked about a shy girl whose hands were tied behind her back. "Why are her hands tied?" She asked.

"Because she hits herself sometimes. You can untie her," I explained, "but we should tie her up again before we go." Carol's motherly eyes filled with tears as she looked at this beautiful girl with her soft smile. There is just not enough staff to make sure she is not hitting herself, so they tie her up so that she won't get hurt. What compassion Carol had on this girl in her prison.

Also, Hermina has been in the hospital ever since I last wrote about her. I hope this means they have found the problem. I hope this means she is being helped. I hope she is getting better. Thank you for your prayers.

2 Comments:

At July 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Mom said...

How wonderful that you were able to finally be with Vasile. I know that was a special prayer request of yours. Also Karen wanted you to know that she wants to read your blog too but she doesn't have internet service on her computer. She has to use other computers that have it and sometimes that is hard to do. Praise God for that woman appearing at just the right time to support you going back to school. Praise God His timing is perfect!

 
At July 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM , Blogger Crysta Wray said...

I liked this entry!:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home